Saturday 16 August 2014

Geometric Patchwork Inspiration

Five(ish) of the Best Ideas for Graphic Patchwork Projects


I posted a few weeks ago about minimalist patchwork quilts and the simplistic lines and limited colour palettes that appealed to me. Having said that I don't do much patchwork, I now keep seeing patchwork inspiration everywhere! Sometimes in the unlikeliest of places!

Here is a round-up of five six of the best - which would you most like to see turned into a quilt or patchwork project? Check out my Pinterest board Geometric Patchwork Ideas for more inspo!

Please click on the pictures to follow to the source.


This art print by Niki Singletary would make a fantastic hand pieced hexagon quilt for a double bed. I love the random cascade feel in the limited colour palette.



I actually thought this art piece from Contemporary Art Daily was a minimalist patchwork quilt until I looked closely. Perhaps not for everyone but I love the simplicity.


This art print, 'cubic cube one' by Julia Kaiser would take some careful choosing of solids to recreate (or perhaps dying fabric yourself) but I love the bold shape and use of the traditional tumbling blocks pattern in a modern form.


This colourful geometric cushion cover for Etsy is beautiful in its soft tones and subtlety, juxtaposed against the straight lines and bold shapes. It would be easier to buy it than recreate it in patchwork! But it's great inspiration for gem-based shapes and patchwork.



This poster by German graphic designer Hans Beer would work well with marbled fabrics - perhaps starting with grey and white and dying the rest then working from strips.




This Westminster Records sleeve design for Gloria by Vivaldi is striking in its modernity, considering the subject. A great cushion cover in little squares - I am quite tempted to try this out as a project. I suspect my 5 month old would love the primary colours too!



What have you seen that has given your inspiration for a project recently? What's the strangest thing that has sparked an idea for a craft project - pavement slabs? A cloud formation? Pattern and colours surround us everyday, perhaps the trick is in how we look at the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment